Friday 28 March 2003

pilipinas: asan pa nga ba?

"Welcome to Dumoy Baranggay," the sign said. Deplorable. Dilapidated. It's quite an infliction to the senses. You would wonder whether there were funds being forwarded here. Might have been a re-routing of some sort. Yeah. Directly to the pockets of the esteemed officials you voted for last election.

If I were someone powerful, and I REALLY wish I was, I would change the way things are in this country. I would declare martial law and eliminate the terrorists, the corruptors, the criminals, and yes, even the rallyists I see on tv everyday. Why do I bother with these unhealthy thoughts? Because, apart from an inexhaustible amount of dry wit, homicidal thoughts are all I have.

Have you seen the wedding of Ruffa the other day? I have. And I must say it was too extravagant for good taste. The flowers alone must have cost a fortune. Sixty varieties flown in from twelve countries. And the cake! Ten feet high embellished with Swarovski crystals and 23-carat gold! I heard it took a month to put together. Anyway, there was Ruffa, looking all pretty and I must say extremely relieved because her groom showed up despite the situation in Turkey, walking down the aisle while wisps of billowing smoke followed her to the altar. How tsk, romantic. It was almost biblical. After the cermonies the whole wedding party partook of the banquet as served by Le Souffle. Ubber chic. My guess is anywhere between three million bucks.

You could donate an entire school for that amount. But perhaps I am just sour-graping. Lord knows what I would do if I looked like Ruffa and had somebody like Ylmaz to suck my toes every morning.

This is what I am getting at. The Philippines is where you find the richest of the rich and the poorest of the poor in a single setting. You see the huge chasm that divides them. And you'd give anything to fill it. Like arrange for some people to get killed. And the poor shall inherit the earth.

Good day to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment